Friday, December 14, 2007

November 18, 2007


Today is my 49th birthday and I celebrated with a wonderful day full of joy. We went for a hike, scrambled on the rocks at Watson Lake, and chatted for a bit with a nice couple from Switzerland. I received a call from my wonderful aunt Doris who made me laugh (as always) and filled me with even more hope. I chatted with my dad who, after losing my mom to breast cancer just two and half years ago, was feeling unnerved. It was good to be able to reassure him that I felt positive and hopeful which is far more contagious than fear. My family, which has always been amazing, buoyed my spirits and offered more support than I could imagine. Lori was the first to hear the news and thankfully my lifeline to the rest of my family. At that point, I could do little more than squeak out the words, "I have cancer", so Lori was a lifesaver as communication central. She was so calm and reassuring and took a huge burden off my shoulders Even though I have a huge family, it was only mere minutes before the calls of love and concern were pouring in. Gerry called from New York and offered to fly out immediately, and all my brothers and sisters offered their help in whatever form I needed it. I know I can call on them at a moment's notice, and they will be here. I am truly blessed.

No comments: